1. One big difference is that we don’t separate people by the type of loss they’ve experienced. Everyone is welcome no matter why their heart is broken. That may sound wild since it’s not how most grief support groups work, so let’s take a look at why we do that.
Even if two people experienced the same type of loss they still wouldn’t have the exact same experiences because all relationships are unique. For example, let’s say the father of two twin sisters died. That sounds about as close as you can get to people experiencing the same type of loss right? Well those two sisters are still individual people. One might have had a great relationship with her dad and the other not so much. To compare one person’s loss to another’s, regardless of the cause or type of loss, discounts, minimizes, or trivializes their feelings or experience.
We have found that focusing on the type of loss puts the focus in the wrong place. Yes, the type of loss is important because it’s why someone’s heart is broken, but we also focus on how to help people. The Grief Recovery Method is a universal solution that will work for anyone that is willing to do the work.
2. Another thing that makes us unique is that the Grief Recovery Method has a start and an end. Although many traditional grief support groups offer a safe environment for a griever to talk about their feelings, talking only provides short-term relief. Talking about your feelings can be beneficial, but it’s not enough. The Grief Recovery Method is designed to guide people in emotional pain through a series of actions to feel better. Of course you can choose to continue working to heal other relationships, but we have a system that was proven to work. So people don’t need to see us indefinitely.
3. You know what else is amazing? Every Grief Recovery Specialist has done the work themselves. We are a group of grievers for grievers. We wouldn’t expect you to do anything we haven’t done ourselves. It takes courage to ask for help and each of our facilitators know that from experience.
4. Another thing that makes us stand out is that grief is our only topic. We work with anyone who is grieving and affected regardless of any political, social, or demographic surrounding an event.
We understand that grief is about having a broken heart, but most of the tools people are taught to deal with grief are intellectual. Grief is a normal and natural emotional reaction to loss, but most of the solutions people are taught are intellectual. Although the method is partially educational, the solution is emotional.
5. Lastly The Grief Recovery Method is the only grief support program with the distinction of being Evidence Based and effective. It’s true! Researchers at Kent State found that The Grief Recovery Method goes beyond a “best practice” or “promising approach” in dealing with the emotional pain of loss. This means there is high confidence that those who follow the Grief Recovery Method Action Plan can find happiness in their lives despite the loss they suffered. Isn’t that amazing!?
Led by Jennie DiFrancesca, certified grief recovery method program specialist, and counselor.